Friday, October 17, 2014

All things Yam

This week is our county fair affectionally called the YAMBOREE. Yes, that's Yam not jamboree. 
The fair started in the 30's to celebrate the sweet potato cash crops in the county and now celebrates it's 77th anniversary and a huge homecoming celebration. Our town of 5,000 swells to 100,000 visitors over the week as pageants, carnivals, livestock shows, 2 parades, along with pie, canning, quilt, photography, art, fiddle, and band marching contest are held. I'm sure I've missed a few other events in there. 
It's a really BIG deal here- the downtown streets shut down for the carnival, businesses close, and school is dismissed as the county youth participate in all the activities. 
My once a year corny dog from the fair! Gotta have it! 
In 2010, I won the Yam Pie Contest! I only made 4 tater pies this year opposed to 13 some years. My grandmama and aunts were all previous winners of the same contest. 
Some of my favorite Yamboree memories were showing my steers and heifers with FFA. The steers were sold as part of the livestock auction and bought by local community supporters. 
I miss the livestock showing days- they were the fun times! 

4 comments:

  1. What a neat festival! Hope you win again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use buttermilk in your yam (sweet potato) pie? Mama always did.
    Barbara
    Life & Faith in Caneyhead

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a lot of fun! Love the older photos of you as a young lady :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh boy, I'm sure a lot of fun is had by all. You're so cute in those pics!
    Good luck; hope you win. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments and read them all! It makes my day to hear from you!