Saturday, March 31, 2012

How I Plant in Vintage Wash Tubs

I have a little trick that I will share with you about planting in vintage containers.
The truth is this old vintage wash tub is on a very rickety pedestal stand and I don't know how long the base will support the wash tub full of plants. I also like to be able to change out the plants in the tubs as the season progresses. I'm trying a few new plants this year, and don't know how well they will get along with our Texas summers. The trick is finding containers that will fit inside the tub!

Plastic growers pots are flexible enough to work in between larger, more sturdy pots. I bought the pink flowers last year, and can't remember their name. The pot sat underneath a tree since last summer and started blooming this spring. You can place liners underneath the pots to protect your container.

Plant an assortment of flowers in the container and then ADD MULCH! Mulch gives the finishing touches and hides the pots. If one plants dies, pull out the pot and replace with something different.  
So now you know one of my tricks to planting flowers in rusty, junky containers. We use this technique at the flower shop when we create European Dish Gardens, except we use Spanish Moss to conceal our mechanics.


The same technique was used in this wash tub as well.
Click here to see more from my Junk Yard makeover project.

8 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for the tips! I love the red salvia, but it doesn't do well for me. I think it was planted with too much sun.

    Seeing your beautiful flowers is a relief here as it's pouring rain. But, we needed to so I'm not complaining!

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is such a clever solution to that problem . . . MULCH! Thanks for sharing -- your planters are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clever. Thanks for the hing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was supposed to be "hint" up there! (I need to proofread my own work a little better!)

    I just stopped back by to let you know that I gave you a shout-out today. http://kathy-goes-a-ramblin.blogspot.com/2012/04/sinkful-of-flowers.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope all is well. Let us know! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you via Pinterest and love your gazebo!! I have an old washtub and do the same thing using different pots-that way you can change out and make a new look in minutes! Have to go check out more of you blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thinking of you, sweet Janice.

    Love ya!

    Take care, and come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Question. What do you use for your liners? I have an antique wash pot with legs that I would like to plant in some way, but I don't want it to rust out. I've been looking for ideas. I'm up in the Panhandle!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all of your comments and read them all! It makes my day to hear from you!